Amongst the failures have been some surprising successes such as the blackberries and apples which of course go very well together. So I've been making deep pies with them. I should also make some jam.
The beetroot are very big this year and I have been pickling them and making soups but I also like to make curry dishes with them. The problem is that I am the only one in the family that eats them, oh well all the more for me.
The apples are good enough to eat raw as well as for cooking.
I dug up some strawberries and planted new ones that had grown from runners. The old plants have distorted leaves and fruit (is that a virus?) so I replaced them. I contemplated replanting the whole bed elsewhere as perhaps I should not be growing them in the same place for so long. I'll give it another year.
There's a good haul of peppers in the greenhouse which are starting to turn red.
One of my first jobs after the holiday was to harvest the spuds which I had left in the ground after the blight hit. I wasn't expecting much as the tubers that I had harvested were split and not too big. However, the yield is rather good after all. I laid them out on a table to dry on a nice sunny and hot Sunday.
Second disaster is that the runner beans have gone past their best, I tried some for a meal and they are stringy. I'm going to grow less next year since they are not a family favourite and will grow climbing French beans instead which have been delicious. There are plenty of them but they should have been picked mid holiday (about 2 weeks ago).
The sweetcorn are nearly ready, although the cobs don't look that big, probably because it hasn't rained much and I haven't watered them (I was on holiday), but we'll wait and see, it's the taste that's important.