Greenhouse assembly

It took me some time to put the greenhouse up. I had to re-lay the slabs as they were not at all level and then I laid a good hardcore base underneath. Hard work, but I wanted to do it properly.

Underneath the existing slabs I found some foundations.



Then I filled the hole in with some hard core rubble that I made by smashing up old slabs and bricks from around the garden.







Slabs going back, nice and level.



Finally all laid.



Working out how the greenhouse went back together would have been impossible without the instruction manual.   Even at this early stage I had assembled and dismantled it three times.  I just couldn't work out where the bracing struts went.



Got the roof on. Needed help from sons here.



Doors fitted and working smoothly to indicate everything is level.

video

I broke a few panes fitting the glass back. All sorted now and ready for the summer, where my cacti will mostly live.  The main advantage is that it frees up space in the top greenhouse where I will have more space fro growing tomatoes, cucumbers and chillies.

New greenhouse

I managed to bag a free greenhouse! I always had plans to be able to use the patio area half way down the garden more fruitfully which gets a lot of sun. What with the increasing number of cacti I'm collecting I knew I needed more space. So I casually asked on the local street life forum and got an answer the same day. Next day I went round and dismantled it and now it's ready for reassembly on my patio. The very nice couple who offered it, helped with the disassembly and even had the assembly instructions which will help a lot! I only broke two panes too.


What I need to do now is prepare the area its sitting on which means lifting and re-levelling the paving slabs.

I've set the tomatoes up in the existing greenhouse.


The chillies have been potted up into their final pots.


Maybe I have too many? Although I won't be so concerned when I have the new greenhouse and more room.

But what's wrong with my garlic? It's split into thin leaves, maybe it's the allium miner?


The peas have started flowering.


As well as the garlic, I'm also concerned about the dwarf beans which have not taken well to being planted out. They haven't put on new leaf and have gone a bit pale. Hopefully they are just struggling to get their roots down.

Grow, grow, grow

Lots happening now. The broad beans are flying.


There's plenty of leaf and flowers on them and they are about 1 metre tall.

The kohlrabi looks pristine under the protective netting and the peas from Sarah Raven (alderman) are huge compared to the meteor variety, they may outgrow the supports.



The spuds in the bottom bed are all showing and I've earthed them up with a combination of soil and garden compost.  The middle bed is planted up with climbing beans, borlotti beans, munchkin pumpkins, dwarf beans and some Tigerella tomatoes.  All had a liberal sprinkling of blood, fish and bone.



The strawberries are also netted (partially)  I need to get some more netting cages which fit the bed width perfectly. They look so much better than the home made  blue water pipes and scaffolde'rs netting.

I showed some radish in the same row as the parsnips so as to mark the row's  position. This has worked well. I've been pulling lots of radish and the parsnips have appeared in their place.


They have been some of the best tasting and consistent radish too. I've sown another row.

Sowing bonanza

I've been busy since the last blog. Lots of sowing, but I learned a valuable lesson. Always label! Does anyone know what this is?


 
I think it's rocket.

Or at least write with an indelible pen. You think you'll remember but you don't. So, I've bought 100 large labels and write with a pencil. 


I also bought a nice potting tray to do all of the sowing and potting up in. Very tidy.


The greenhouse is filling up.


The usual suspects are there. Tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, courgettes, chillies, kohlrabi, peas, beetroot . I'm also trying climbing pumpkins and borlotti beans.

The spuds were planted on Good Friday, no sign yet.

Planting the onions in modules has been successful, they are growing well in the beds now.


I've planted over 50 in total of red and white variety. 

The pear blossom has been the first to show and there's a good amount this year.


But the apple blossom is equally pleasing to see.


There might even be some figs this year. There was an infestation of weevils in all the plants in containers so I had to treat them, seems to have worked.


The peas have been transplanted and look very strong.


Finally, I've been enjoying the YouTube videos of Dan who can grow some great veg. See http://www.allotment-diary.co.uk

I'm trying his approach and have treated the beds with rock dust and fertilised them with blood, fish and bone. He also grows banana shallots which look great, so I'm giving them a go too.

Onion sets and last of parsnips

I dug up the parsnips, blanched them and put them in the freezer.


They have a good shape but there is some canker. It scrapes off though.

I've planted the onion sets, both red and white varieties. This time I'm starting them off in modules in the greenhouse.


I've also sown the peas in modules with two pea seeds per module. These are also in the greenhouse and under a sheet of glass to keep the mice off.

There's a good harvest of purple sprouting broccoli and the kale is getting big enough for a meal soon.


I checked the weather forecast and decided to delay sowing until next week, good thing I did as there was a frost this morning. I bought two 120 litre bags of compost, so I should be set for a sowing bonanza.